The School of the Archdiocese of Capiz.
Colegio de la Purisima Concepcion
The school of the Archdiocese of Capiz
The School Seal of CPC has made use of the three symbols which appropriately represent the “Catholic Education” it offers which is unique in itself. The book and beak symbolize the acquisition of KNOWLEDGE, while the cross represents the DOCTRINE OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH integrated in the general education the school provides to its students. The blue color of the seal symbolizes the BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, THE PATRONESS of the school who provides the needed inspiration and under whose mantle of protection the College continues to exist and perform its mission as evangelizer of Catholic education. The motto of the school “PRO DEO ET PATRIA” (for GOD and COUNTRY) is arched on top of the symbols to signify the INTEGRAL CHRISTIAN FORMATION and the strong adherence of the school to LOVE and PATRIOTISM, for GOD and COUNTRY.
Years of Excellence
Colegio de la Purisima Concepcion, a learning institution of the Archdiocese of Capiz, guided by Catholic ideals and relying on the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is a center of academic excellence, through its commitment to the development of the total person, by offering relevant and responsive academic programs.
CPC through the Years
CPC was founded in June 1948 by Msgr. Vicente M. Gonzales, D.P., then parish priest of the Immaculate Conception Parish.
As first director and treasurer, Msgr. Gonzales braved the storm of uncertainties and steered the institution towards stability. Two nipa and bamboo shacks with five rooms housed 400 high school students, 25 of whom became its first batch of graduates in school year 1948-49. Mrs. Concepcion Greenman-Layne was the first high school principal.
The following year (1949-50), collegiate courses – One- Year Secretarial, Associate in Arts (General and Pre-Law) and Junior Normal leading to the Elementary Teacher’s Certificate (ETC) – were offered. Fr. Salvador Mabasa was appointed director by Msgr. Jose Ma. Cuenco, then bishop
of Jaro. Ms. Marina H. Hundana headed the Junior Normal School and Mr. Ramon Flores became the first registrar. The nipa shacks had to give way to two 2-storey Quonset buildings.
In the third year of its operation (1950-51), CPC opened its doors to elementary education with Ms. Hundana as the first principal. That same school year marked the first commencement exercises of the Elementary Department.
When the Diocese of Capiz was canonically erected in 1951, CPC was made a diocesan school for men and women. The first ordinary of the Diocese, Bishop Manuel Yap, was the first chairman of the Board of Trustees. He was succeeded by then Bishop Antonio F. Frondosa in 1952
followed by Archbishop Onesimo C. Gordoncillo in 1986. The present chairman, Archbishop Jose F. Advincula, Jr., took over the chairmanship in 2012 upon the retirement of Archbishop Gordoncillo.
Msgr. Sinforiano Fuerte took over the reins of the school in 1951 when Fr. Salvador Mabasa left for the United States for further studies. More courses in the tertiary level were offered: Bachelor of Science in Education, ETC combined with Home Economics, Pre-dental course and the first two years of Bachelor of Science in Commerce.
It was in 1953-54 when CPC offered the complete four-year course in Commerce with Accounting and Banking and Finance as major subjects. The following year, it offered Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education. CPC first distinguished itself in the national scene when its cum laude graduate in Commerce, Reynaldo Felizardo, made it to the top 10 (6th place) in the CPA board exams in 1956.
Years of Growth and Expansion
The construction of the three-storey building in the main campus was started in 1957 to meet the demands of the increasing enrolment. After many years of hard work, CPC was able to complete its main campus in 1980.
The College of Education also made a name in 1960 when its magna cum laude graduate, Fe Gomez-Villarruz, topped the competitive examination for teachers in Roxas City and in the Province of Capiz
It was in 1962 when the school director assumed the title of Rector; thus, Fr. Sinforiano Fuerte was installed as the first rector of CPC.
The College opened its doors to graduate education in 1963 with Dr. Carmen F. Rodil as the first Graduate School dean. It offered Master of Arts in Education with educational administration, guidance and counseling and elementary education as fields of concentration.
The school year also marked the opening of the College of Law with Atty. Venicio T. Escolin, who later became an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, as its first dean. Its first graduate, Atty. Victor Azagra, passed the bar examination given in 1967.
School year 1968-69 was the start of CPC’s Engineering program under the leadership of Dean Arturo Uvas. The program later brought CPC to the limelight with its sizable number of board passers; more so, when two of its graduates made it to the top ten in the board examination for civil engineers —— Cezar Talabucon, Jr., 4th place, 1989; and Joel C. Villaruz, 2nd place, 1991.
In 2002, the School of Criminology was opened with Gregorio Mendoza as dean.
Years of Transition and Progress
As the Administration changed hands from Msgr. Sinforiano Fuerte (1951-1988) to Msgr. Nepthtali S. Irisari (1988-2000) to Msgr. Vicente F. Hilata (2000-2012) to Msgr. Policarpio John Luza (2012-2014) to its present rector, Msgr. Rufino Regie A. Pamposa (2014- to date), CPC has markedly inched its way to progress. Its physical expansion has enabled the College to cope with its tremendous growth and development.
Its curricular programs namely, BSBA, BSED, BEED, Criminology, Computer Engineering and Basic Education (Grade School) have withstood the rigors of accreditation (ACSCU, PACUCOA, PAASCU). Other programs are being readied for accreditation. ISO-TUV voluntarily certifies the management processes of the College (CAS, CED, CBMA, CCJ, CET and CME ISO 9001-2008). Summarily, the Quality Assurance Office has pushed for quality and excellence in its operations.
CPC also received awards of excellence from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) for its outstanding performances and substantial gains in physical facilities, faculty development and effective community extension services. One of its students, Ms. Precy Bacalangco, was awarded as one of the Outstanding Student Leaders in Western Visayas in 1995. Another student, Roma C. Padua, brought honors to CPC when she was chosen as one of the Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines in 2007. Ms. Padua stands out as the first student from Capiz to get the award.
CPC has three campuses: 1. the Main Campus with its three-storey building housing the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business Management and Accountancy, College of Criminal Justice, the Junior High School and the administrative offices. 2. Arnaldo Boulevard Campus. Found here are the School of Graduate Studies, College of Law, College of Engineering and Technology, College of Maritime Education and the College of Education; Pre-School Department, Grade School Department, Senior High School; and San Lorenzo Event Center (SLEC). 3. Calipayan Campus (formerly Mount Carmel Family Life Learning Center) which is an extension of the Pre-School and Grade School Departments.
Established three years earlier than the Diocese of Capiz, CPC celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1998 and its Diamond Jubilee in 2009.
CPC can look back to its glorious past with pride, more determined to pursue academic excellence in line with its mission and vision towards Christian formation “for God and Country.”
It can humbly boast of its roll of distinguished alumni headed by Jaime Cardinal Sin, Bishop Vicente Navarra, Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez, Ambassador Francisco Alba, Justice Josue Bellosillo of the Supreme Court, Justice Roberto Barrios of the Court of Appeals, noted cardiologist Adolfo B. Bellosillo, former Congressman Rodriguez Dadivas, Congressman Fredenil Castro, DPWH Director Rolando Asis of Region VI among others.
A center of excellence for Catholic Education
Produce globally competitive professionals through quality Catholic instruction, relevant research and community service for or love of God, Mary and country.
- Promote quality Catholic instruction, cultural heritage, relevant research and community service, for love of God, Mary and country
- Sustain an effective and quality management system to promote globally competitive development.
- Offer programs in basic education, arts and sciences, business and marine education engineering and technology, criminal justice, post-graduate studies and other relevant programs.
- Preserve, enrich and promote the culture of Capiz in the Philippines.
- Strengthen research engagement and social responsibility among stakeholders of the college.
- Deepen Christian values among stakeholders of the college.
- Adopt a quality management system that addresses emerging needs of a fast changing global community.
Pro Deo et Patria (Love of God and Country), Faith, Hope, Charity, Integrity, Justice, Mercy, Excellence, and Service